Monday, October 10, 2011

The Age 18 List

Last night some of us met together for the homeschool parents' small group (this is on the ReACHE calendar--we meet one Sunday night a month and it is very encouraging--check it out sometimes).  We watched a DVD presentation by Matt and Mary Freideman, about discipleship in the home.  The topic was very interesting--The Age 18 List.

The general idea is a checklist/set of guidelines that they developed soon after their first child (of six) was born.  It included things they wanted to make sure their children had been taught before they were 18.  The areas we learned about were related to finances, sexuality, Biblical literacy and spirituality.  It opened up a good discussion time, where we all basically acknowledged that while the tendency may be to walk away feeling overwhelmed at 'how behind the curve' we are in some areas, it is never too late to get started doing something.

Being a parent is difficult.  It helps to not only know that others are going through/thinking the same things, but also to know about and use tools that give direction and encouragement.  While I have thought through many of the things I hope my children take with them into adulthood, I have never come up with any definite type of plan.  I feel like I am doing good most days to have some type of meal provided (and yes, cereal counts as a meal at my house--a lot), and on co-op days we are doing good if we can find our green shirts and folders and the list of what supplies are needed that day.  And don't even get me started on Sunday mornings...

Our 'homework' was to begin thinking through our own Age 18 lists.  Whether I get anything actually written down remains to be seen, but I think the concept is great.  It has definitely gotten me curious--do you have a list like this for your family?  If so, what kinds of things have you included?  If not, do you have things in mind that you DEFINITELY want your children to go out in the world knowing/doing/being?

Your turn now--comment.  :)

Update:  After I posted this, I found this video on the Skit Guys website, entitled 'Can We Talk - Parenting 101'.  It made me laugh, and fits right in with what we are trying to do with our kids.  I consider it a good investment of 2 minutes and 49 seconds.

Posted by: Charla Miley

No comments:

Post a Comment