Friday, October 7, 2011

What did YOU learn this week?

When I first started homeschooling, I was almost daily amazed at the things I was learning/re-learning, especially about history.  I don't know where my mind was for the 12 years of my school experience, or even college for that matter, but so much just seemed new to me.

That has been many years ago, and I have forgotten a lot of that information.  I guess that is one benefit to having several kids spread out--I have the opportunity to go over that information more than once.  As we were going through 2nd-ish grade history this week, I remembered some things again.  Stuff like:

--people were sailing and living on Mediterranean Islands during the time of Abraham.

--Homer told the stories of the Iliad and the Odyssey 700 years before Jesus, around the same time Isaiah was endearing himself to the Jewish population.

--Slaves were brought to the Pharoah from other parts of Africa long before Joseph showed up.

--why spinning in circles will make a person dizzy, but turning cartwheels will not.

Sadly, though, I also learned that I have completely forgotten how to do those geometry proofs that I breezed through in high school.  So, my son got a math break this week, until I can have some time to focus on just that.  He didn't complain about it at all, either.

What about you?  What neat things did you learn/remember this week?


Posted by Charla Miley

1 comment:

  1. I know I ALWAYS learn something new. My kids must think, "how in the world does this woman teach us?!?!? Did she EVER go to school????"

    I am short on time, but will try to come back to this one.

    (Oh, and I learned just from reading what YOU learned!!!!)

    ReplyDelete